Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

THE EMBRACE OF GOD

[Originally from MotorcycleMoment Blog].  I was sitting in church Sunday and heard one of those songs using the phrase the "embrace of God". I can not identify with the "embrace of God". I suppose it's because my father never embraced me. No men I knew in my childhood embraced. It was not a "manly" thing to do.

I don't remember my Father ever touching me in any way except to spank me when I deserved it. (And I'm sure I did deserve it.) I never got spanked much; I don't really remember a specific instance of it. I just know it happened once and a while. Never a pat on the shoulder or a poke in the ribs.

So, the "embrace of God" means nothing to me.

I treated my boys differently because I heard from somewhere that Fathers were supposed to show physical affection to their children. These days it is "old fashioned" for men not to show affection. So I showed it to my boys.

It was easy when they were young. Yet when my sons grew into their teens my childhood experience tried to kick in: "real men don't hug". But I fought it and hugged my boys anyway. Today we hug. It's the manly sort of hug: throw your shoulder into the other guy and put an arm around the back. A few pats don't hurt.

I wonder if my sons understand "the embrace of God"?