Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

THE BALD HEADED PARROT

Before I went to elementary school I wanted to hang out with the big boys. My brothers and the neighbor kids used to sit on the stonewall in the yard next to us. I was not really welcome. As I was listening to them one day they told this joke about a one-legged, one-eyed parrot who lived on a farm and liked to f--- the chickens (yes, they used that word). I did not understand the joke but all the rest seemed to like it. They told me to leave. I went back to the house where my Aunt Janice was visiting with my Mother. Since the joke was supposed to be funny I thought they would enjoy it, so I told it to them. In my youthful way I stumbled along until I got the part where I told them what the parrot liked to do with the chickens. I noticed grey expressions moving accords their faces. I couldn't finish the joke for they stopped me and told me to go outside and tell my brothers to come in. I did not understand why, but I knew it was not going to be good.