Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2016

LANGUAGE FRUSTRATION

OVERUSED WORDS:

“Like” when used as a verbal pause as in “uh”, “err”, or other unnecessary noises people make when communicating.

“Not a problem” when you mean “you are welcome”.

“I love . . .” when you really mean you “like” or “admire” or “appreciate”. You would actually love (have a strong emotional attachment for) your spouse, children, country, etc. You do not “love” the way a room is decorated.

“Absolutely” Very few things are absolute.

“So” when it's used at the beginning of response: “So, the answer to that is . . . “, “So, when he went . . .”.

“Actually” Actually, there is very little need to use this word except to emphasize a contrast, which actually is rare.

"Utilize" I don't see why this word exists. It's enough to say I "use" something, I made "use" of something. For example: "I waste my time utilizing Facebook." I "use" Facebook; I don't "utilize" Facebook. Utilizing that word does not make you appear smarter.